Saturday, October 4, 2008

I gotta tell ya, I've been enjoying things a lot here lately.  I just finished reading "Dewey: The Small Town Library Cat Who Touched the World," so be watching for that review in a day or two.

I've been listening to some great music lately.  I'm mainly a country buff, but I do like some of everything.  If you're into country, Heidi Newfield's album "What Am I Waiting For?" is a really good solo debut.  Of course, I love, love, LOVE the first single "Johnny & June."  I could listen to it over and over.  But really the whole cd is pretty good.  I think the only song I could do without is the last track, "Knocked Up."  It's a bit trashy, but it does have a good point about what you get when you get knocked up.

I'm not a huge fan of Jessica Simpson's music, and cringed when I heard she was crossing over to country, but I gotta admit.  Her album isn't that bad.  She actually sounds better as a country singer than she ever did as a pop singer.  "Do You Know" is good album if you are in the mood for some lighter country.

Darius Rucker's country debut is also a really good album.  I wouldn't have thought of the frontman for Hootie and The Blowfish as country, but according to an interview I saw with him on GAC, the producers told him he was TOO country, and had to be a little less country with his music!  Anyways, "Learn to Live" is a great album if you like the older country sound.  It is a little reminiscent of Charlie Pride, but not too much.  Darius really has his own voice.

If you are into Christian music, Chris Sligh's album is really good.  He was a contestant a couple years ago on American Idol.  You'd remember the big bushy hair on a heavy set guy with glasses.  "Running Back to You" is the title of his album, and it is a great start for him.  There is not a song on there that I don't like, and he has a great voice, as well as a great talent for songwriting and helping to produce his album.  "Empty Me" is my favorite song on the album, it just really touches home that we need to allow God to empty us of all our worldly mess so He can fill us up with Himself.  

I'm starting the book "Midwife of the Blue Ridge" next, so be watching for that review soon, as well as a review of "The Green Beauty Guide," which I am also reading.

Until next time..........

No comments: